- Torngat Mountains Sébastien Malette (bassoon), Allison Wiebe (piano) 4:24
- Near Moncton Sébastien Malette (bassoon), Allison Wiebe (piano) 3:00
- Smoking Hills Sébastien Malette (contrabassoon), Allison Wiebe (piano) 5:48
- Near Arctic Bay Sébastien Malette (bassoon), Allison Wiebe (piano) 6:06
- Near Wakefield Sébastien Malette (bassoon), Allison Wiebe (piano) 5:15
- Great Bear Rainforest Sébastien Malette (bassoon) 5:55
- Jasper Sébastien Malette (bassoon) 2:53
- East Point Sébastien Malette (bassoon) 3:24
- Journey to Bear Cave Mountain Sébastien Malette (bassoon) 2:47
- Churchill Sébastien Malette (bassoon), fixed electronics 5:41
- Sable Island Sébastien Malette (bassoon), fixed electronics 4:27
- Grasslands Sébastien Malette (bassoon), fixed electronics 3:32
- Sharbot Lake Sébastien Malette (bassoon), fixed electronics 7:09
I Am Who I Am Records is proud to present, A Village of Landscapes, a bassoon album of music by Canadian composer Frank Horvat, performed by bassoonist Sébastien Malette.
A Village of Landscapes is a 13-piece suite for bassoon inspired by photos of stirring natural landscapes in Canada. Each photo was taken by award-winning nature photographer, Michelle Valberg. The 13 pieces in the suite represent each of the 10 provinces and 3 territories in Canada.
The word “Canada” originates from the Iroquoian word, “Kanata” meaning “village” or settlement. And despite our large size geographically, we are metaphorically a village of various landscapes. We are blessed in this country with such natural beauty. It brings us joy and peace but also inspires us and leaves us awestruck. It is all these feelings that should motivate us to protect the landscapes that encompass our planet. It is such an honour and privilege to use the power of music, through Michelle’s lens, to give this visual beauty another dimension through music.
These 13 pieces have been divided into 3 mini-suites: bassoon with piano, unaccompanied bassoon, and bassoon with electronics. The pieces can be performed individually, as mini-suites or as a whole. I encourage audiences and listeners to take the opportunity to view each of the photos as they listen to the corresponding piece so they can feel the connection, as I did when composing the pieces, between the visual and the aural. It was a wonderful experience to compose this work and I enjoyed a heightened level of appreciation for our natural world thanks to these remarkable photos and the sound of a fabulous musical instrument like the bassoon. – Frank Horvat
Learn more about the making of this album.
It takes a special skill to be able to create a whole atmosphere in a work that is just 2 minutes long. I really liked that.
– Suzy Klein, BBC Radio 3 Essential Classics
Contemporary Classical Chamber
Sébastien Malette (bassoon)
Allison Wiebe (piano)
Composed and Produced By
Port Nelson United Church, Burlington, ON Canada, by Kirk Starkey, Dec 20-21 2022
Edited and Mixed By
Fixed Electronics Mixed By
12 May 2023
Horvat’s music is always an excursion into the soul of an artist who has much to say about the state of our world and its inhabitants.
This prolific composer keeps surprising us with diversity and an extent of musical expression, language and themes.
– WholeNote Magazine
Story behind the tracks
01-13 A Village of Landscapes
Monthly Newsletter SIGNUP
Never miss the latest on new projects, music and videos!